Tutor - 2019-2020 Academic Year
Part-time (10 - 15 hours per week), Regular, Hourly, Non-Exempt, Non-benefited
PURPOSE: Provide individual and small group tutoring to students in the Academic Success Center. Assist students in improving academic achievement by meeting with them on a regular basis to clarify learning problems and work on study skills. Other assistance might include reviewing class material, discussing the text, predicting test questions, formulating ideas for papers, or working on solutions to problems. Tutoring is a supplement to teaching. Tutors are not expected to know everything about the subject for which they tutor.
- Provide both scheduled and walk-up tutorial services.
- Oversee and create/provide materials for learning communities and/or reading circles as needed.
- Keep accurate records of tutorial sessions, reading circles, and learning communities.
- Maintain integrity in student work and tutorial session.
- Provide feedback on Student Success Center usage to Student Success Center Manager.
- Attend tutor training as provided through the Academic area.
- With permission of the student, notify Student Success Center Manager and/or the Vice President for Academic Affairs when student concerns in subjects may necessitate a status change for the course.
- Works with other tutoring staff and ACC volunteers to coordinate services for students.
- Create/maintain motivating environment for learning.
- Create activities for mid-term and finals weeks.
- Serve as a mentor to one or more students (optional)
- At the Student Success Center Manager’s discretion may serve as an ALP advisor to one or more student.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Associate’s degree; Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Demonstrated academic excellence.
- Understand tutoring practice.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Must understand and maintain confidentiality of all information seen or heard.
- Must be able to work independently and show good judgment.
- Needs to be organized and show good time management skills.
- Must have a working knowledge of Windows Office and have good data entry skills.
- Must be reliable and dependable with regular, timely attendance.
- Must be willing to agree to and sign statement of Evangelical Covenant Affirmations.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
PLEASE NOTE: ACC is a religious organization; to be considered for an interview, candidates should submit a short statement of faith along with their application materials and once hired, employees are required to sign a document agreeing with the Evangelical Statement of Faith and Affirmations. The Covenant Affirmations can be found here: Covenant-Affirmations.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and brief statement of faith to be considered for this position.