JOB TITLE: Night Desk Clerk
DEPARTMENT: Student Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Student Services
STATUS: Part-time (32 hours per week/ 30 weeks per year), Regular, Hourly, Non-Exempt, Non-benefited
PURPOSE: Staff the main front desk area of the residence hall. Facilitate the promotion of a safe, positive living and learning environment for the students who live on campus.
Night Desk Clerks primarily cover the residence hall front desk from 12 a.m. - 8 a.m. the following morning. The residence hall does not close for meals or other breaks. Business continues as normal as long as students are in residence. Night Desk Clerks keep their normal duty schedule during their meals and breaks.
- Be alert and awake during each shift
- Complete nightly rounds of campus, on assigned schedule
- Serve as a resource to students, staff, and others who may need assistance, including, but not limited to, assisting those who are locked out of their rooms.
- Maintain a neat and professional atmosphere in the residence hall lobby area.
- Enforce all college and student housing policies and procedures.
- Provide outstanding customer service, and act in a manner that reflects well on the Student Services department
- Act as a liaison between students and the Student Services Department
- Be thoroughly familiar with all college and student handbook policies and to be responsible for enforcement.
- Assist maintenance department by reporting needed repairs or other concerns.
- Regard any personal information about students, and possibly other staff, as confidential to protect the rights of the students and staff.
- Monitor security cameras regularly throughout shift, to ensure the safety of the campus.
- Thoroughly document and report any unusual activity, and all policy violations.
- Prepare and submit regular Night Desk Clerk reports.
- Report all situations that may jeopardize the safety of the residence hall, students, staff, or visitors to the appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
- Contact the appropriate personnel in case of a crisis or emergency.
- Convey accurate information to individuals requesting assistance over the telephone or in person.
- Make sure scheduled shift is covered if unable to work it.
- Monitor all individuals entering a residence hall to ensure that only residents and their registered guests are permitted in the building.
- Respond appropriately to needs and concerns of students, staff, and visitors.
- Attend meetings or training as scheduled by the Director of Student Services.
- Carry out other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: none
Alaska Christian College esteems our students and co-workers and values each as members of our community of faith. Students, faculty, staff, visitors, and vendors are all considered to be customers and it is the duty of each employee, regardless of their position, to perform to a high level of customer service. All employees are encouraged to develop meaningful relationships with students and other staff to promote the mutual growth of deeper whole-life discipleship.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience in handling crisis situations.
- Experience serving and/or mentoring young adults.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information appropriately.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Experience working cross-culturally preferred.
- Ability to keep a positive attitude with students and/or staff, despite circumstances.
- Ability to schedule working hours daily between 12:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.
- Knowledge of the college campus environment
- Awareness of residence hall policies and procedures
- Reliable and dependable, with regular, timely attendance.
- Ability to work independently and show good judgment.
- Organized, efficient, and good time management skills.
- Must be willing to agree to and sign statement of Evangelical Covenant Affirmations
- Must be able to pass a background check
These duties will be conducted in an office environment with limited exposure to hazardous materials. Majority of the shift will be spent seated and working on a computer. Must have adequate sight to meet the responsibilities of the job. Must have the physical ability to use a telephone, facsimile machine, copy machine and other related office equipment. Must have ability to walk a moderate distance at a modest pace on the campus, in and out of buildings, including climbing stairs.
Within the office, “business casual” dress is expected. Jeans are acceptable as long as they are clean and well kept. If any questions arise regarding what is appropriate, speak with the supervisor.
STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING:
This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed by the person assigned to this position and does not state or imply that it is all inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be added with consideration of the job requirements and skills needed and can be changed verbally or in writing at the discretion of the jobs immediate supervisor.